As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints our children are baptised at the age of 8. This is called the Age of Accountability. When they have had time to learn right from wrong. And Porter has had lots of experiences with both. =) And they are also old enough to understand the covenant they will make with their Heavenly Father to keep His commandments and take the name of His Son Jesus Christ upon them and to be representatives of Christ.
They are also baptised by immersion, this is to represent the re-birth. Jesus Christ was baptised by immersion, he was already pure, but was baptised to be an example to us. The laying down of our sins and coming up cleansed. This goes hand in hand with our Sacrament we partake of every Sunday, where we are able to renew our covenants weekly, to have time to repent and become clean again.
So this is a very important stepping stone in our faith and we are very excited for Porter! To be baptised one must interview with the Bishop of the ward (congregation) to make sure they understand the commitment and are worthy to be baptised.
This past Sunday Zack and Porter went to Porter's interview and on the way Porter said, "Dad, do you think I can ask the Bishop to be baptised in a river?" What a trooper! He will instead be baptised at out Stake Center in a warm font, which I think he will really prefer to the cold critter filled waters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
WOW! I can NOT believe he's turning 8! That's crazy! What a big step and I'm proud of Porter. I loved the testimony story as well! YAY!
Seriously....you have an 8 year old? When did that happen. I am so excited for Porter and your family, what a special occasion coming soon!
Wow, Porter's turning 8. I remember babysitting him as a baby when you were taking classes at BYU. Kids just grow up too fast.
Hooray for Porter!!!! I hope his font water is warm. =) Congrats to Porter for making the decision to be baptized and follow our Savior's example. Uncle Adam and I are proud of him.
Now the river thing...crazy. =)
Post a Comment