Last night we talked about the parents job to teach the children to love one another and to serve one another. It was inspired by a long day of hitting and pushing between the kids (it was like I was the referee, but no one cared.)
So I pulled out the scriptures and looked up Quarrelling. And I found the scripture I was looking for! Mosiah 4:14-15
14: And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the devil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness.
15: But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another.
I explained that they invite the Devil into our home every time they choose to fight with each other. Now this may not have been the best approach as Maddy is now afraid of the "shovel"=devil. I explained that all they have to do to stay away from him is to make good choices. So Maddy in her delightfully true self (one who enjoys a little mischief) was still worried.
Porter then asked what it meant to serve each other. So I gave a few examples, "like when we ask Maddy to find her shoes and she melts down in place and doesn't look for them, maybe you could help her walk around and look for them. Or play with your sisters." Then Zack chimed in with 2 other examples to which Porter said, "Ok, that's enough!" Apparently he can only hold so much information at a time or he was worried he'd be expected to do each item daily and was a little overwhelmed. I cracked up.
We'll see if any of it has an effect today. I sure hope so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
hee hee. That's funny!
I so need to copy your FHE!!! I will definitely be using that analogy since my kids do nothing but fight when we are at home. Hope you are doing well!!! Maybe we will actually be able to get together after this trip is over!!! Talk to you soon!
So cute! I'm afraid of the shovel too.
Post a Comment