Monday, August 11, 2008

Ward Campout

I may be crazy, but this is one of my FAVORITE things to do! Going camping, maybe it is because it is only one night, or because there are more people for the bears to pick off, or just cause it is fun to get into nature, even if for only 1 night.
I forgot to grab pillows so Zack ran to target really quick. (also my kind of camping, within close distant to necessities) and he got lucky and got to use a bathroom with running water. We had Port-a-Potties. ilch. Maddy peed once in there, then I am sure the rest went in the Lake.
We enjoyed borrowing Gene's tent, and found that since we are adding one more child, we might need to buy a size up, but it was a LARGE improvement from last year's adventure with 5 people in a 4 person tent. =)
We enjoyed sitting around the campfire, the kids made S'mores and I just sat and sat and sat. We had a nice fireside, then Zack was invited to sing with a men's chorus....of 5 men. And that was fun, Haven couldn't believe he was up there singing, and loved it, she said, "Dad sings?!?!"

Then I turned in as I wasn't feeling so well and it was 10pm and Maddy was sooo tired she was mean. So we got all ready for bed and Haven came and joined us. Then Maddy is a non stop chatter box. I'm thinking, "Please Lord, let her fall asleep" but she just kept on talking until I rolled over and turned the light off. memo to me: turn light off earlier next year. Haven went to sleep no problem, she is our best sleeper. Porter meanwhile continued to terrorize the camp until around 11:30pm, he and his little buddies ran around showing the different families, "Look! 21st Century!" Then "da da na na, dana, dah na dah na, na na na!" You know the intro to movies with the spotlights going back and forth, well he and his friends nailed it with their flashlight and sound effects. We heard it over and over again so I told Zack to go get him as I knew babies were already sleeping. Funny though.

I was wide awake most of the night, probably in fear that I would have to walk to the port-a-potties alone. I kept getting up to use the bathroom just 1 more time before going to sleep, and sleep didn't happen till about 3:30am. Ah well. I was still happy to be there when I woke up so that was good. Zack on the other hand was bushed.





Breakfast was great and the kids were ready to get in the water, even though wind was blowing and it was below 70 degrees. Somehow my kids managed to persuade one of our fabulous YM to take them out. I have done canoe-ing in my days and know that I don't want to do it with two kids who have their own paddles, however, this did not phase the YM and he did a beautiful job. The funniest part was me hearing him ask the kids if they were done. Of course the answer was "NO!" after the 3rd or 4th time of hearing this from the shore, I shouted, "don't ask! Just bring them in when you are done." Otherwise they may have never come back. THANKS BRANDON!


After that adventure we went over to a little beach they had roped off that was nice and shallow and blocked from the wind. Maddy loved this area, Porter got cold quickly and decided he'd rather stay on land and get buried in the sand. Haven went deep up to her neck without her life jacket, I was a little nervous, but she did great.

Earlier that Morning Maddy had hung out in a friend's tent with a bunch of our primary and YW YM going around a circle hugging everyone. The kids were amazed that she never got tired of this. I mean really, who would get tired of being the center of attention with all the love and smiles they were giving her. She made lots new friends that day. Who also came over to the beach so I didn't have to watch her like a hawk, she was surrounded by bigger kids that were entertaining her. Bonus!



Zack went back to break down camp, we followed slowly after him. The kids wanted to canoe again and I wasn't going to do it. Zack finally gave into their pleading, and My pleading. It was not a fun trip, the kids fought the whole time and Zack had to take Maddy's paddle away more than once to keep them upright. Zack was toast after that, as I would be, and we loaded up and headed home. =) Even though it ended on a grumpy note for everyone, it was a great get away. Now to catch up on some sleep.



click on the picture to see the "happy" faces. =) Thank honey, you are a trooper!

The best part is we unloaded right after we got home, did laundry, re-packed our camp rubbermaid for next year and got everyone clean so there wasn't anything to do on Sunday! That may be a first for me!

5 comments:

Susan said...

Where did you guys go camping?

kristib said...

I loved reading about all the fun things you did, but since I missed your July 31st post, the thing I enjoyed most was your reference to adding another baby. Congratulations! You are a brave woman to go camping while pregnant. I did that...once. We haven't been camping since!

The Thrasher Family said...

Looks like a fun trip!! You are quite brave to camp while pregnant! Way to go :)

Mike'n'Amy said...

You have a camp rubbermaid?? Who does that?! Certainly not me...I'm not a fan. Glad you had fun!!

Adam and Ann Watkins said...

Rock on!! Glad you all had fun. I'd like to see the 21st century thing that Porter and his friends did. =)